Boston doc (we'll call her Dr. Obvious) is no Dr. Mike. This is what I've concluded after the run around we've gotten in the last week or so. Dr. Mike would NEVER have given me the run around and then made me wait a week to understand what was going on. As my BFF said, it's almost unethical.
We had our conversation with her today. We because this time L was on it, since I clearly can't be trusted to remember to say anything on my own.
Do you know what this whole thing basically boiled down to?
She just wants us to know that surrogacy MAY not work for us. Because we have unknown infertility. It's not clearcut. There's nothing that says it's my eggs or his sperm or my uterus or anything. And therefore, it may be something that surrogacy can't fix.
Well, thank you Dr. Obvious. We had no idea this might possibly not work. We thought we were 100%-guaranteed-take-that-to-the-bank coming home with a baby.
It seems to me it's a big ol' case of cover your ass.
I mean, what did she really think? That if our surrogate didn't get pregnant we were going to sue her (the doctor) or something?
So yes, it's not guaranteed. Never thought it was. And that's what it boils down to.
But I think we're going to do PGS going forward anyway. She suggested we could save money and try PGS and put them directly into me and SEE if that works. But money isn't the only thing that comes into play with that. I just can't handle another miscarriage right now. Maybe in another year or two, but the last one just put me on a fragile emotion train ride I can't get off of right now. I think we should do PGS and still put them in Gabby. That will take out two unknown factors - the embryos will be "good" and Gabby's "perfect" uterus. It still may not work but then I have truly done everything physically possible in this world. And if it works out and we want another one in the future, I can always try with any remaining frozen ones.
So the only issue will be if PGD finds there are ZERO good embryos. Then we're up the creek without a paddle. But that's a chance I'm willing to take at this point.
All systems go. I emailed Gabby and she's getting her IUD out next week and will go on Nuvaring. The agency is sending her file to the hospital to start the screening.
I'm ready for some good news. Let's hope this works.