Thursday, September 30, 2010

Boston

Compared to all the trips I took last year to Boston, yesterday was fairly uneventful.  Strange, but in a good way.

No matter how early we seem to leave, we never seem to make it on time. Hit traffic (after rush hour) on the way into Boston which made us about 15 min. late. K dropped me off in front before finding a parking spot and I made my way to the surgery intake, bc…well that’s all I ever did last year.  Ha, apparently for a regular doctor appt. you don’t have to go there.  Whoops :) I haven’t had a “regular” appt. in more than a year and a half!

Up at the office I checked in and filled out new paperwork as to which meds I’m on. Ugh, had to fill out all the fertility drugs I’ve been on in the last year.  Then got called for height and weight. I tried to refuse getting my weight taken – I’m 20lbs up from surgery and Dr. Mike had told me to lose weight last time he saw me so that wasn’t going to anyway.  The technician is like, “Don’t worry, only you and the Dr. will see.”  I said to her, “That’s exactly what I don’t want to happen!” She asked, “What, are you afraid he’s going to yell at you?”  “Yes,” I replied.  (Not that Dr. Mike yells, of course, but I just didn’t want to HEAR it.

Had my echo, and the two women doing it seemed totally incompetent. They couldn’t find my pulmonary artery.  Considering that’s what I had surgery FOR, it seemed suspect.  But that hospital is so so cool, they had a tv right next to my bed and put on Sweet Home Alabama for me while they did the test. AWE-SOME.

Then did my EKG and saw Disty, Dr. Mike’s PA. I don’t know if she rubbed off on him or he rubbed off on her, but she is another great one. I talked with her all about IVF and stuff and she thought that I might need to take some diuretics but otherwise was fine.  Then Dr. Mike came in, talking as he walked in saying, “I’m not going to yell at you Michelle.” So thanks technician, for telling him I said that!

We talked a little while about fertility stuff and IVF and what might need to happen, and Disty tried to get me to do the stress test again if I wanted to.  I told her I didn’t want to and Dr. Mike said, “Good, no stress test.  Disty likes to get people to do these all the time, and I just don’t get it,” in a total joking way. To which Disty replied, “I actually would like it every day, but I just keep getting told people have lives!” It was pretty funny.

Then they told me I had a V/Q lung scan next to do.  The lung scan is when they hook you up to an IV and run some radioactive tracer through you to show the blood circulation through the lungs (which get their blood from the heart, and again, what my surgery was about).  I hesitated and asked if there was any problem doing that if there was any possibility I was pregnant (and yes, I know it would be super early and odds are I’m not even pregnant anyway but I just don’t want to ruin anything) and again Disty asked what medical procedure I had done. I told her IUI and she had no idea, and I was about to explain when Dr. Mike jumped in and pointed to his stomach (which honestly, was really funny considering he doesn’t have the plumbing at all) and said, “Nope, we’re not going to do that one today either.”

So, I was done.  They have however, signed me up for all these tests to do next year, PLUS a cMRI, which I thought I couldn’t get. I remember when I was pregnant the first time and they did one, it was the one time I ever saw Dr. Mike PISSED because Columbia (my first hospital) had put in coils that blocked the MRI machine from seeing anything.  K tells me it’s because they needed to know how my lung anatomy was and there was no other way at that time to see it, and Disty says they want to see the heart, not the lungs next time.  I don’t get it, but I trust they know what they’re doing.

O2 sats were 97%!!! At home my machine also reads that but it’s not the super professional medical one they have at the hospital so I was wondering how accurate it was. (K’s also read 97% and he was sorta pissed I was the same as him :) )

Anyway, this was really boring and pointless, but it’s reassuring at the same time.

And he didn’t yell at me, but he got his point across anyway.  Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment