Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cribs and Floors

I have to reply and catch up on previous comments. But we did get our cribs on Saturday from IKEA.

Yeah, they're cheap. Yeah, they're definitely not decadent in the slightest. Yeah, they look like Baby Jail a bit. But that's ok. They are solid enough that we trust them and they will get our kids through to big girl's beds. They're definitely not heirloom pieces - we will probably chop them up and burn them for kindling in a few years :)



But we have enough other things to spend our money on. My parents offered to pay for our cribs. And the ultimate crib if there was all the money in the world we would have gotten was this one:


It's the Land of Nod "Time to Turn In" Crib. Made from solid American sustainable wood (from the Appalachians), non-toxic, no lead, phthalate free, metal mattress frame...I love it.

But if I won't pay $1300 (for two cribs) I'm certainly not going to ask my parents to pay that. My parents asked if we were sure, because they think the Ikea one is ugly (and yes, it certainly won't be winning any prizes) and even offered to split it if we were uncomfortable with the price and we decided no. It's just not that important. And honestly, I'm going to get ridiculously priced mattresses (which are organic/eco-friendly) so in the end I'll still be spending a lot on my crib stuff. (And honestly, I know my mom. She's so crazy excited to FINALLY be a grandma [her words] that there's no way she's going to stop at the cribs. So this way I don't have to feel as bad about what she spends ;) )

So, $140 + tax it was!! And it was hilarious, afterwards we went to Bobby's Burger Palace in Paramus NJ (that would be Bobby Flay's joint) and L and I paid for dinner and my dad refused to let us pay for him and mom because he said that would be half the cost of one of the cribs he just paid for! LOL, true.

The next thing we're looking at is replacing the carpet, not only in that room, but our whole house.

The other day one of my kitties tore a claw and when i got home, it looked like a MURDER scene. Blood EVERYWHERE, no joke. I seriously thought for awhile that my dog had gone after a cat. So we used oxyclean and got most of the blood up but now the carpet is a bit bleached (or it's so dirty that those are the clean spots, haha!) Then we found a place under the table (those little circular tables with the skirt that goes all the way over them) where the cat must have hung out for awhile that day and it was a huge puddle of dried blood. *shudder*

BTW, the cat is fine. We took her to the vet because we couldn't get her to stop bleeding and they "chemically cauterized" the nail with a stiptic pen (or whatever you call it). But even at the vet on the table she just kept bleeding and bleeding all over the place and it LOOKED horrible. She was fine though (claws apparently just bleed A LOT!)

The carpet wasn't looking that great anyway, so we should probably change it, especially since we hope to me moving in a year or two. Normally we would go for sustainably grown hardwood, but since we're not going to be here too much longer (and need to be saving money right now for the surrogacy) I'm looking into Greenguard Certified laminate flooring. Laminate is not that great environmentally, but Greenguard looks at chemical exposures (VOCs and offgassing and the like). We can find a certified laminate that is a good compromise for us at least.

Will we ever be done with this room before the babies come? I'm really not sure!

11 comments:

  1. I think the crib is perfectly fine and cute! It's the bedding and the rest of the room that will make it look nice. And I totally agree with you that it's good to go for a nice, organic mattress! I think it's kind of annoying when people go for "fashion" in a baby's room. It's not like the baby cares! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess a crib is a crib and it probably doesn't matter, they don't use it for very long and as long as it is sturdy and you like it enough. I've not needed to put that much thought into cribs ever so it will be interesting to note how you feel when you use them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably true and I guess we'll find out. Sorry this blog is all about baby stuff now. :(

      Delete
  3. We have that crib in white, and I really like it :) It does scratch kind of easy, but it's not been a problem thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got it unfinished and are going to paint it ourselves. Which means it'll probably scratch easily too :)

      Delete
  4. I think your crib choice is sound. We got a cheap $100 sleigh crib... and V hasn't even slept in it yet. We're horrible. He's still in the pack-n-play in our room. We're thinking here in the coming months we'll move him... you know... eventually. LOL Anyway, kids don't stay in their cribs for long, and I think yours will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, not horrible! With two, and given that I won't be breastfeeding, I think they'll probably be in their cribs pretty quickly :)

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you got what makes you happy! You'll get the room done in time don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great bedding will make your cribs beautiful and perfect for your little girls!! P.S. - Bobby Flay's in Paramus is just only the best burger place. ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! And we got milkshakes with it - so perfect!

      Delete