Thursday, October 25, 2012

This is the post that doesn't end...

We made it home alive :)

I'm not sure which way is up. Usually when I take a vacation, I leave on a Saturday and come home on a Saturday so I start my new work week on Monday like everyone else. Well, we flew back in late Tuesday night and I took off Weds. to clean up/do laundry etc. so today was my first day back at work. And I'm all discombobulated. But it is awesome that tomorrow is Friday!!

Yesterday my back started hurting again and by nightfall I knew I had thrown it out again. WTF? How do I keep doing this? My chiro says it's not any one thing I'm doing but some repetitive twisting motion that doesn't show up until later. unfortunately since it's later I have no idea what that thing is. Luckily, I got into the chiro first thing this morning instead of trying to wait a few days and see if it'll get better on its own and I am already doing better than I normally would be. I'll go again tomorrow and hopefully that will be enough to get me through this weekend because we have SO MUCH TO DO!!

And of course, this is freaking me out with two babies on the way. What am I going to do if I throw out my back then? And what if it happens just by me picking up my babies? I feel like this is going to be a big problem.

So, lots to do this weekend, including...my SIL is having a C-section tomorrow!!! Her baby girls will be here and we'll finally find out the names!

I didn't write about it in my last post, but while we were on vacation she posted to facebook a picture of her nursery with the initials of the babies above the cribs. One is G and one is H. The H I don't care about, but the G I did. Not that we're 100% set on it but we've been leaning towards Gianna/Gia. So L sent a text to his brother and his brother refused to tell us.

It upset us a lot. I mean, we're not just trying to be nosy and ask for the sake of asking. We also have two girls coming and though I know we have a few months left half the fun is being able to talk things out for awhile. And they had that same fun. Now at the time we thought we were going to have another few weeks before their babies came so it doesn't really matter now but I thought it was kind of crappy of them. I don't know what the big deal is. I understand wanting to keep it a secret from most people, but not your brother who is also having twin girls soon. If my brother who is about 2 months after us ends up having a girl I am sure we will end up telling him our names so they can decide. We'll ask him not to tell anyone else but I fully understand why he might want to know our names.

Anyway, so it hurt. More L than me. I think he is realizing more and more he is not as close to his family as he once thought he was.

Before we got this news today though, we were planning to downstate Saturday anyway to go with my mom to Ikea to look for cribs!! It is step one of my "Eco-healthy" nursery. Well, really step two.

Step 1 was painting the nursery with Mythic Paint, which is a non-toxic, zero VOC (even in colors) paint. A lot of "regular" zero or low toxic paints have VOCs added as soon as you make them a color. You know how you buy a paint can and then bring it to the paint counter with the card of the color you want and they had the "formula" to it? Yea, it's that formula they add (no matter the color) that adds VOCs to your paint, even if the original paint can says zero VOCs.

Have I mentioned I'm a little bit of an eco-nut?

So I've been looking for all wood, no or very low formaldehyde cribs as my step 2. Most are insanely expensive (like $600 -$1200 a crib) so that's totally not going to work and definitely not for two (I have the feeling if we were having one I would probably find some way to justify that to myself). So I did some research and it turns out that Ikea has a super cheap, super basic crib that is all hard wood EXCEPT for the base that the mattress goes on (which we can either replace or not care about too much because the baby won't touch that) and totally unpainted so the baby won't ingest any chemicals when she goes to chew on the wood. We can finish it with some linseed or other food grade oil if we want OR I might paint it myself with some white Mythic Paint. And best of all it is $69 for the crib. AWESOME!

It's the Sniglar crib.

But I'm under no illusion that the crib may be TOO cheap. So we're going to trek to NJ on Saturday afternoon to check it out and see if it's way too flimsy. I won't buy it if it is. But if it's just very basic and simple, we might do that!

I don't have a back up yet though....oh well, we'll figure it out.

On Sunday my whole family is going to the Jets game! My brother (and his wife, my OTHER SIL) got tickets from his inlaws as part of his graduation present from Nurse Anesthetist school in August and my father-in-law has season tickets to the Jets (I know this isn't the first time I've mentioned how much I married UP) so we can get tickets almost whenever we want to the game so we decided to go with them and tailgate before the game. Then just yesterday, my FIL offered to GIVE my parents (who have never been to a football game) in their lives, the other two tickets he had. Usually he sells them, but my parents don't have the money to buy them so this was super nice of him. My mother is so excited. Like, she ran to facebook and put on her status how she was going to a Jets football game with her kids and their spouses. I have a feeling she'll be complaining by the end of the first quarter about being cold. (Oh and yeah, that hurricane is going to be coming through starting around then so she'll be cold and wet)....

And then tomorrow night I really need to check out a few places to decide where I'm going to have the baby shower. My aunt and mom are hosting it (absolutely no offer from my MIL, no surprise there) but since I want it by where I live I need to do the footwork). I'm excited that things are finally starting to move.

But boy are things busy! So I can't have a thrown out back!!!!!

Phew, I'm exhausted just writing about all of this. I probably won't have anything else to say for a week!

But there's one more thing! Gabby had another appointment today (that we didn't go to).

Everything still looks great!! The doctor said she still looks great, the babies still look great! (They have now changed positions and are breech, but Doc is not worried yet, they have plenty of room to move still). He says everything is going perfectly and I just can't believe it. Things never go perfectly for us. But all of a sudden, everything is. I'm almost afraid it's a dream and I'm going to wake up soon!

She's doing so well she doesn't need to go back for another appointment for two weeks!

Ok...I think I'm done now, haha.

13 comments:

  1. You seem to be feeling really good right now and that makes me so happy :)

    I'm doing a kitchen reno right now and we're doing butcher block countertops so I've been looking for food grade sealers that are high quality and durable and I've discovered waterlox. You can't find it in store but you can order it from their website. It is pricey, but it may be worth it to you.

    Also, I could have sworn that I read "nurse atheist school" up there :) I had to do a double take lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ "nurse atheist" school :)

      I will look up waterlox. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Love love hearing this update. I couldn't be happier for you! So excited that all this stuff is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy news is the best! Glad things are plugging along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! And that's great about the cribs! Keep us updated on that! And sorry about the name thing. We have friends that kept their names from everyone, including close family until their son was born. Hopefully they didn't take your name! Maybe if you announce it first then, they will feel like they can't take it... just an idea? Anyway, sorry about your back! I have the same issue, but with my neck. And I still go to the chiropractor and DH stays with the baby. I just have to get there sooner rather than later when I feel awful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I'm glad you made it back safely! Secondly, yay that the babies are doing alright! I am so glad things are still on the up and up!

    You BIL and SIL sounds like they're very inconsiderate. I don't really understand the thrill of withholding the name. Granted we waited a little to reveal the gender, but I wanted confirmation more than anything. We did consider not telling at all, since some family was very gender-biased, by eh. In your situation it sounds purely selfish. BUT you'll know soon enough, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You have plenty of time to decide on a name. And if they pick one of your names... eh. I have a cousin with the exact same name as me. We gave DS the same middle name as one of his cousins, only spelled differently... If it's a name you REALLY love and are set on, I don't think it should matter too much. No one can claim a name, IKWIM? And if they pick the same name and you use it, well they should have told you huh? :P Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound very happy with all of your busyness!!

    just a side note... your tickers are not updating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure? I just checked and it looks like they are (or at least they are different from a few days ago :)

      Delete
    2. Hmph... it appears that when I access your blog from my history, it doesn't refresh. I just signed in from a different browser and you went from 20 weeks 5 days to 22 weeks 2 days. Now if only the rest of the pregnancy would fly by as quickly for you!! :)

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the crib shopping! I hope it's everything you're hoping it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for good news! I hope the crib is just perfect for your two girls - and I also hope the hurricane doesn't rain on your parade -er football game! I know we're battening down the hatches!

    ReplyDelete